Monkey pose is a difficult posture that requires proper warmup and preparatory poses. Postures that would be beneficial in preparation for monkey pose include bound angle pose, reclining bound angle pose, seated forward pose, head-to-knee forward bend, wide-legged standing forward bend and reclining hand-to-big-toe pose.
The benefits of monkey pose include:
- Reduction in stress and fatigue.
- Improvement in overall balance and alignment.
- Stronger and more flexible leg muscles.
- Stimulation of the abdominal organs and improved abdominal muscle strength.
- Improved flexibility of the hip and groin muscles.
Beginners, or those with limited flexibility, should place their hands on yoga blocks to support the body and bring the torso more upright. A thick bolster or folded blanket may be placed under the pelvis if the practitioner can't reach the ground. A bolster or blanket under the hamstring of the front leg may also be helpful.