Vrittis, or the fluctuations of the mind, are of five types, as follows:
- Pramana (right knowledge) - A state in which the mind reflects reality
- Viparyaya (misconception) - A state when the mind makes a wrong judgement, which, in time, is replaced by right knowledge
- Vikalpa (imagination or feeling) - Refers to understanding the real situation, though words do not directly relate to the situation
- Nidra (deep sleep) - The state of mind that exists when one sleeps
- Smriti (memory) - That which is stored in the mind
The aim of yoga is to still and attain a superior state of mind.