According to Hindu philosophy, there are six pramana:
- Pratyaksha - Perception - Acquiring knowledge from experience
- Anumana - Inference - Gaining right knowledge from logical conclusion
- Upamana - Comparison - Learning by observing similarities
- Arthapatti - Postulation - Supposition of a fact to support a well-established fact
- Anupalabdhi - Non-apprehension - Understanding non-existence by non-perception
- Sabda - Verbal testimony - Gaining authentic knowledge from spoken and written words
The ability to understand how the mind functions leads to better understanding of self and a given situation, thereby aiding in acquiring the capacity to avoid baseless agonies.