Om Shri Kali Durgaya Namaha
Definition - What does Om Shri Kali Durgaya Namaha mean?
Om shri kali durgaya namaha is a Sanskrit mantra believed to dispel negativity and provide protection. It conjures up the fierce power of the Hindu goddess, Kali, and allows the yogi to experience and invoke some of her potency.
The mantra is a more specific and focused version of the mantra, om shri durgaya namaha, which is dedicated to the goddess Durga, who represents the combined form of the powers of Lakshmi, Saraswati and Kali. Some say that this mantra is so powerful it can solve all physical, mental and emotional problems.
Yogapedia explains Om Shri Kali Durgaya Namaha
In Sanskrit, the meanings of the individual words of the mantra can be translated as:
- Om — the sacred sound, representing the whole universe
- Shri — a title of reverence, used before the name of an honored person or being
- Kali — the Hindu goddess associated with death, time, sexuality and violence
- Durgaya — from the root word, durga, meaning “unconquerable” or “the one who takes us through difficulties,” in this use referring to the goddess who takes this name
- Namaha — literally “not me,” which is used to point to a higher power and indicate that the yogi submits to something greater than themselves
As such, the whole mantra reveres Goddess Kali and submits to her power. Kali is sometimes described as one of the most misunderstood of the Hindu gods, as her association with destruction can be seen in a negative light. Instead, worshipers of Kali see her as the destroyer of evil forces and a divine protector. As such, the mantra om shri kali durgaya namaha may be used when the yogi needs strength and the courage to fight their demons.
During These Times of Stress and Uncertainty Your Chakras May Be Blocked.
To help you bring attention to your chakras and to identify which of your chakras are causing you issues, we created the following quiz.
Try not to stress over every question, but simply answer based off your intuition. After all, you know yourself better than anyone else.