Some of the benefits of this pose include:
- Enhanced flexibility in the legs, hips and back of the body
- Improved functioning of the respiratory and digestive systems
- Decompression of the spine and shoulders
- Stimulation of the abdominal organs
- Physical and mental relaxation
Tortoise pose is also believed to improve the digestive and respiratory systems as well as to decrease feelings of anger, anxiety and depression.
One gentler version of the tortoise pose is half tortoise pose, in which the body starts in thunderbolt pose, then folds from the waist with the arms extended forward, resting on the ground.