Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
What is Bridge Pose?
Bridge pose, or setu bandha sarvangasana, is a beginner's backbend. From a supine position with the legs bent and feet near the buttocks, the yogi lifts their hips toward the sky. The pose opens the chest and improves digestion.
- Begin by lying on the back with the knees bent, feet under the knees and hip distance wide. Keep the arms by the body, palms down.
- Inhale and lift the hips toward the sky.
- Interlace the fingers on the floor and tuck the shoulders under.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Avoid if you have neck or back injury
Benefits of Bridge Pose
- Stretches the spine
- Expands the chest and promotes lung function
- Improves digestion
- Improves circulation
- Helps treat menstrual pain and menopausal symptoms
- Treats back pain and osteoporosis
- Relieves insomnia
- Increases energy
Bridge Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- set-too bahn-dah sar-VAHN-GAH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Nabhichakra (Navel)
- Pose Type
- Backbends, Chest Openers