Shoulder Stand Pose
What is Shoulder Stand Pose?
Shoulder stand pose, or sarvangasana, is an inverted posture wherein the weight of the body rests on the shoulders and the feet reach toward the sky. In the full posture, the arms rest on the floor. Shoulder stand pose brings a fresh blood supply to the brain and relaxes the mind.
- Lie on your back. Inhale and reach your feet up, lifting your hips.
- Support your low back with your hands.
- Draw your elbows toward each other. Walk your hands further toward your shoulders to lift your hips higher.
- Straighten your legs and relax your feet.
- Exhale and release your arms to the floor.
- Breathe normally while holding the pose.
- Avoid if you have had a neck injury, have an enlarged thyroid, a back injury or high blood pressure.
- In the beginning stages, support your back with your hands.
Benefits of Shoulder Stand Pose
- Delivers fresh blood to the brain
- Stimulates the thyroid
- Relaxes the mind
Shoulder Stand Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Pose Level
- Nabhichakra (Navel)
- Pose Type