What is Staff Pose?
Staff pose, or dandasana in Sanskrit, is a deceptively challenging beginner's seated pose. With the legs straight and feet engaged, the torso is aligned at a 90 degree angle to the legs. This requires a great deal of core strength and hamstring flexibility.
- Sit with the legs outstretched.
- Engage the feet, drawing the toes toward the shins.
- Place the hands on the floor next to the hips.
- Engage the core and lift the top of the head toward the sky.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- No known cautions.
Benefits of Staff Pose
- Improves posture.
- Builds core strength.
- Develops hamstring flexibility.
Staff Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Pose Level
- Bhrumadhye (Third Eye)
- Pose Type
- Core, Seated Poses, Strength