Seated Forward Bend Pose
What is Seated Forward Bend Pose?
Seated forward bend pose, or paschimottanasana, stretches the spine while stimulating digestion. In this posture, the legs are outstretched and the hands clasp the feet, ankles or calves in a forward bend.
- Sit with your legs stretched in front of you and together.
- Reach your arms up with an inhale to lengthen your spine.
- Fold forward with an exhale.
- Clasp the outsides of your feet, ankles or calves, depending on your flexibility.
- Relax your head so that it's in line with your spine.
- Breathe while you hold the pose.
- Avoid if you have asthma or acute back injury
Benefits of Seated Forward Bend Pose
- Stretches the hamstrings
- Stretches the spine
- Stimulates digestion
- Calms the mind
- Facilitates pratyahara (withdrawal of senses)
Seated Forward Bend Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Forward Bends, Seated Poses