Reclining Hero Pose
What is Reclining Hero Pose?
Reclining hero pose, or supta virasana, is a more advanced version of hero pose. From hero, the yogi reclines onto their back and holds opposite elbows over the head. This pose is good for stretching the abdominal organs.
- Begin by kneeling and separating your feet as wide as your hips.
- Exhale and lower your bottom in between your calves.
- On the next exhalation recline back, lowering your head and back to the floor.
- Inhale and reach your arms overhead. Grasp opposite elbows.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Avoid if you have a knee or back injury.
- Widen your knees to relieve any knee pain.
Benefits of Reclining Hero Pose
- Stretches the abdominal organs
- Improves knee flexibility
- Opens the heart
- Energizes the mind
Reclining Hero Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Supta Virasana
- soop-tah VEER-AH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Backbends, Chest Openers