Holy Fig Tree Pose
What is Holy Fig Tree Pose?
Holy fig tree pose, or ashwanasana in Sanskrit, is a balancing posture and variation on tree pose. Here, the practitioner stands on one foot while reaching the other foot back, one arm up, and one arm to the side. The pose improves one's sense of balance in space.
- Begin standing and reach the arms straight ahead and at shoulder height.
- Shift the weight to the left foot.
- Inhale and reach the right foot back and up. At the same time, reach the right arm out to the right.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Change sides.
- Avoid in pregnancy and if there is vertigo
Benefits of Holy Fig Tree Pose
- Improves balance
- Improves proprioception (perception of body in space)
- Stretches and strengthens the lower back
- Boosts energy
- Improves respiration and circulation
Holy Fig Tree Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Balancing, Standing Poses