Handstand Split Pose
Adho mukha vrksasana
What is Handstand Split Pose?
Handstand split pose, or adho mukha vrksasana in Sanskrit, is an advanced inversion and variation on handstand pose. Giving all the benefits of an inversion, the pose also develops balance and opens the hips.
- Begin in handstand pose.
- Exhale and split the legs in opposite directions, allowing them to move toward the floor.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Inhale and lift the legs, bringing the feet together. Change sides.
- Avoid if there is wrist injury or high blood pressure.
Benefits of Handstand Split Pose
- Brings fresh blood to the brain
- Develops balance and focus
- Invigorates the nervous system
- Strengthens the arms, shoulders and legs
- Stretches the hips
- Alleviates stress and depression
Handstand Split Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Adho mukha vrksasana
- ah-dhoh moo-kha vrk-SHAH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Arm Balances, Balancing, Core, Hip Openers, Inversions, Strength