Half Splits Pose
What is Half Splits Pose?
Half splits pose, or ardha hanumanasana in Sanskrit, is a preparatory posture for the full expression of the pose hanumanasana. From a low lunge, the yogi rests the back knee on the floor and stretches the front leg forward. The pose primarily improves flexibility in the backs of the legs.
- Begin in a low lunge with the right leg forward and back knee resting on the floor. Rest the fingertips on the floor.
- Move the hands back as you extend the right leg forward. Rest the right heel on the floor and flex the foot. Try to keep the hips in line with the back knee.
- Exhale and fold the torso forward. Breathe while holding the pose.
- Inhale and release.
- No known cautions. Stay upright if the stretch is too intense.
Benefits of Half Splits Pose
- Improves flexibility in the hips, hamstrings, and low back
- Stretches the low back
- Stimulates the abdominal organs
- Prepares body for the full pose of hanumanasana
Half Splits Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Ardha hanumanasana
- ar-dhah ha-new-MAHN-AH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Padayoragre (Tip of the toes)
- Pose Type
- Balancing, Forward Bends, Hip Openers