Extended Triangle Pose
What is Extended Triangle Pose?
Extended triangle pose, or utthita trikonasana, is a standing yoga posture that improves balance and flexibility. In this posture, straight legs are spread apart with one foot at a 90-degree angle. With both arms extended, the body bends toward the lead foot so that one arm reaches toward the ground and the other toward the sky.
- Beginning in mountain pose, turn to the right and step your right foot back about three feet.
- Pivot your right foot until it is pointing to the back of the mat, while your left foot turns slightly in.
- Grab your right big toe with your right hand, extend your left hand to the sky.
- Rotate your left hip up and back.
- Look up toward your left hand.
- Breathe as you hold the pose.
- For beginners, if there are neck problems focus your gaze forward instead of upwards
Benefits of Extended Triangle Pose
- Stretches legs, ankle joints, hips, and shoulders
- Stretches the side body and hip flexors
- Strengthens legs, abdominals, obliques and back
- Stimulates energy pathways in the body
- Improves digestion
- Improves balance and flexibility
Extended Triangle Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Utthita Trikonasana
- oo-TEE-tah trik-cone-AHS-anna
- Pose Level
- Yoga Type
- Ashtanga Yoga, Hatha Yoga
- Hastagrahe (Tip of the hand)