Extended Puppy Pose
What is Extended Puppy Pose?
Extended puppy pose, or uttana shishosana in Sanskrit, gives a deep stretch to the spine. With the knees on the floor and hips lifted, the yogi walks the hands forward and lowers the chest toward the floor.
- Begin in tabletop pose with the knees hip distance wide.
- Exhale and walk the hands far forward, keeping them shoulder distance wide. Keep the hips over the knees.
- Release the chest toward the floor. If possible, rest the forehead on the floor.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Avoid if there is knee injury
Benefits of Extended Puppy Pose
- Stretches and lengthens the spine
- Stretches the shoulders
- Relieves tension and insomnia
- Relieves gas
Extended Puppy Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Uttana Shishosana
- oo-TAHN-nah shee-SHO-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Bhrumadhye (Third Eye)
- Pose Type
- Backbends, Chest Openers