Extended Hand-to-Big Toe Pose
Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
What is Extended Hand-to-Big Toe Pose?
Extended hand-to-big toe pose, or utthita hasta padangusthasana in Sanskrit, is an asymmetrical standing and balancing posture. With one foot planted firmly on the floor, the other foot is stretched up and to the side. This is an excellent pose for building balance and focus.
- Begin standing.
- Exhale and lift the right knee toward the chest.
- Grasp hold of the right big toe with the right thumb and first two fingers.
- Balance on the left leg, then inhale and stretch the right foot forward and to the right.
- Breathe while holding the pose.
- Exhale and release the foot to the floor. Change sides and repeat.
- Use the wall as support if you have balance issues
Benefits of Extended Hand-to-Big Toe Pose
- Stretches the hips and hamstrings
- Strengthens the ankle, knee, hip and shoulder joints
- Strengthens the core
- Builds balance and focus
- Calms the mind
Extended Hand-to-Big Toe Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
- oo-tee-tah ha-stah PAH-DAHN-goos-TAH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Parshva (Side)
- Pose Type
- Balancing, Hip Openers, Standing Poses