What is Elbow Stand?
Elbow stand, or sayanasana in Sanskrit, is an advanced balancing inversion. From peacock pose, the yogi lifts their hands to balance on the elbows. The pose strengthens the arms and core and energizes the mind.
- Begin in peacock pose and find steady balance.
- Carefully lift one hand from the floor and cup it against the cheek.
- Do the same with the other hand.
- Balance for a moment or as long as possible.
- Exhale and drop the legs and forearms down into a forearm plank.
- Practitioners should first master peacock pose. Avoid if there is high blood pressure or shoulder injury.
Benefits of Elbow Stand
- Strengthens the shoulders, arms and wrists
- Increases blood flow to the brain
- Eases varicose vein symptoms
- Stretches the spine and back muscles
- Energizes the body and mind
- Develops balance and confidence
Elbow Stand Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Arm Balances, Backbends, Balancing, Chest Openers, Core, Inversions, Strength