What is Dove Pose?
Dove pose, or vajra kapotasana in Sanskrit, is a deep and challenging backbend that tones the spine and expands the chest. From reclining hero pose, the practitioner places their palms near their head and straightens their arms, lifting their thighs and torso from the ground in a deep arch.
- Begin in reclining hero pose.
- Inhale and reach the arms overhead, place the palms in line with the ears and fingers pointing toward the shoulders.
- With an exhale, straighten the arms to lift the thighs, torso and head from the floor.
- On the next exhale, lower the forearms to the floor and hold the toes. Rest the top of the head on the floor.
- Breathe shallowly while holding the pose.
- Avoid if there is back injury
- This pose should only be learned after mastering pigeon pose variations
Benefits of Dove Pose
- Improves circulation to the spine
- Opens the chest
- Strengthens the heart
- Stretches the hips
- Benefits pelvic region and genital organs
Dove Pose Details
- Sanskrit Name
- Vajra Kapotasana
- vah-jrah kap-oh-TAH-sah-nah
- Pose Level
- Nasagre (Tip of the nose)
- Pose Type
- Backbends, Chest Openers, Hip Openers, Strength