A yoga journal might include the following:
- Thoughts that arose during yoga practice
- Mental state and emotions when practicing yoga
- Progress or challenges with physical issues
- Details of asanas practiced
- Meditation records and reflections
- Observances of physical sensations during yoga
- Notes on pranayama or breathing throughout the practice
- Awareness of energy levels during the practice
- Breakthroughs in practice - physical and/or mental
Many yogis believe that journaling their yoga practice can help them to tap into their own inner wisdom or intuition, which is heightened through the practice of yoga, and the way it strengthens the mind-body connection.
The process of writing about yoga can become a part of the yoga journey in itself and provide an extension of the mat space as a place to work through any problems and see the path ahead more clearly.