Definition - What does Metta Bhavana mean?
Metta bhavana is the Buddhist meditative practice of cultivating loving-kindness toward all sentient beings. From Sanskrit, metta means “love,” “kindness” or “friendliness” and bhavana means “cultivation.”
In addition to being a Buddhist practice, Patanjali, the composer of the Yoga Sutras, emphasized the importance of fostering the quality of loving-kindness. This powerful meditative practice can help to overcome hurt, bitterness and anger toward others, as well as developing self-love. Yoga practitioners wishing to incorporate metta bhavana into their spiritual practice often pair this meditation with heart-opening asanas.
Yogapedia explains Metta Bhavana
Metta bhavana has five stages and strives to grow the emotion of loving-kindness, transforming the yogi over time to care and promote harmony for all. For a beginner, each stage should be practiced for about five minutes.
- Stage 1: A yogi has metta toward him/herself and becomes aware of feelings of peace while meditating. Many choose to repeat a loving phrase or well-wish for themselves in this stage, using it for the remainder of the practice.
- Stage 2: The yogi now thinks of a close friend and his/her good qualities, repeating a loving phrase or well-wish for the friend.
- Stage 3: The yogi repeats the process in Stage 2 for a person they have neutral feelings toward. For example, someone they may not know personally or do not like or dislike yet.
- Stage 4: The yogi now repeats the process in Stage 2 again, but for a person they dislike. For example, someone whom they consider an enemy, someone who hurt them, or someone they harbor resentment toward.
- Stage 5: Finally, the yogi thinks of all the four people together and then, while still repeating a loving phrase or well-wish, extends these feelings of loving-kindness to all people and things.
During These Times of Stress and Uncertainty Your Chakras May Be Blocked.
To help you bring attention to your chakras and to identify which of your chakras are causing you issues, we created the following quiz.
Try not to stress over every question, but simply answer based off your intuition. After all, you know yourself better than anyone else.