Wide-arm cobra pose is often used within a Sun Salutation or vinyasa as a transitional pose. It is considered a moderate backbend that helps prepare the spine for more advanced asanas. The modification with the arms placed wider than the mat allows for the chest and shoulders to open more fully than in the traditional cobra pose. The pose can be practiced as a low cobra or high cobra and is easily adjusted based on individual needs.
Wide-arm cobra is an excellent asana to relieve tight muscles resulting from working at a desk or using mobile devices for many hours.
Additional benefits of wide-arm cobra include:
- Opens the heart and chest
- Stretches the entire front of the body
- Strengthens the back of the body, shoulders and abdomen
- Engages and firms the gluteal muscles
- Aids digestion and relieves intensinal discomfort
- Counter stretches forward bends