Regular practice of upavistha yoga mudra stimulates the ajna (third eye) and sahasrara (crown) chakras. The ajna chakra is associated with wisdom, intuition and clairvoyance. The sahasrara chakra promotes a calm state of mind and leads to eternal bliss.
Additional benefits of upavistha yoga mudra include:
- Relieves stress
- Calms the mind
- Promotes mental focus
- Engages the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS)
- Tones the core and improves digestion
- Strengthens the cardiovascular system
- Stretches the neck and shoulders
- Stimulates brain function
As a modification, this asana may be practiced using a yoga strap in order to assist the hands in reaching.