This simple posture has a number of key physical health benefits, such as:
- Compresses and stimulates the upper chest muscles
- Opens the muscles of the shoulder
- Detoxifies the body through the twist
- Stimulates circulation to the arms, hands and fingers
- Soothes the digestive system
Different variations of this posture can be taken to go deeper. For example, the top arm can be lifted and extended to increase the twist through the spine. Similarly, one knee can be lifted from the floor while keeping the toes grounded to create more space to move into the twist. To enhance the benefits, the muscles should be kept active with the legs strong.
This posture should be avoided by anyone with neck or shoulder injuries. Care should also be taken not to go too deep into the twist.