Visvamitrasana is a challenging and advanced yoga asana. Before attempting the pose, it is best to master supta Visvamitrasana, Visvamitrasana II, eka pada Koundinyasana and ardha Visvamitrasana. These asanas will help prepare you for the full expression of the pose.
Visvamitrasana activates the muladhara (root) chakra. The muladhara is associated with vitality, stability, survival and staying rooted.
Additional benefits of Visvamitrasana include:
- Promotes a feeling of groundedness
- Improves balance and mental focus
- Increases flexibility of both mind and body
- Tones the back of the body and spine
- Strengthens the arms and legs
- Improves core strength
- Energizes the whole body