This pose not only stretches the spine, but is a chest and hip opener, and is thought to have numerous other physical and mental benefits, including:
- Improving posture by enhancing flexibility and elasticity
- Stretching and strengthening the back, neck, arm and leg muscles
- Strengthening the uterus
- Enhancing core stability, balance and endurance
- Boosting mental focus and concentration
- Soothing the mind and reducing stress
For an easier variation of upward-facing two-foot staff pose, use a folding chair and blanket for support. Place the blanket on the seat of the chair and the buttocks on the blanket. The legs extend through the back of the chair, while the upper body drops off the front, creating the back bend. For additional support, the chair can be placed so the feet touch a wall, or yoga blocks can be placed under the feet.