Among the many benefits of this pose, the twisting motion is believed to squeeze out tension and stress. Practicing this posture, therefore, calms the mind and nervous system, restoring a sense of balance.
Additional benefits of Bharadvaja's twist are:
- Increased hip flexibility
- Strengthening of the lower spine
- Stretching of the muscles of the neck, shoulders, spine, knees and ankles
- Massaging of the internal organs, helping digestion
- Relieve the pain of sciatica and arthritis
Those with limited flexibility can place a blanket under the thighs. For someone with hip mobility problems, Bharadvaja's twist can be practiced from a seated position in a chair.
In a more advanced variation, one leg is placed in lotus pose and the other leg as in hero pose. This version should only be practiced by those with increased hip mobility.