It is said that the fire element resides in the thumb and the air element in the index finger. In this way, the air element is suppressed by the fire of the thumb in this mudra.
Vayu mudra is associated with the Ayurvedic vata dosha because vata is associated with the air element. Thus, vayu mudra can be helpful for those who suffer from aggravated vata or who are of the vata dosha constitution.
There is a whole range of other conditions that respond well to practicing this mudra, including:
- Parkinson’s - It is thought to reduce the tremors
- Stress and anxiety - It is believed to calm a stressed nervous system and soothe the mind
- General pain - It is said to be helpful for pain management
- Joint pain - It is believed to soothe the pain associated with rheumatism, sciatica or gout
- Endocrine system - It supports skin and cartilage