Beginners can start with holding the pose for 10 seconds initially and increase up to one minute eventually, once the pose is more comfortable to hold. A yoga block can also be used initially to support the back. For best results, repeat the pose, hold and release for a total of three times.
Bridge pose offers a wide range of benefits including:
- Stretches the spine
- Expands the chest and promotes lung function, effective for breathing disorders including asthma
- Stimulates abdominal organs, improves digestion
- Improves blood circulation
- Effective for treating menstrual pain and menopausal symptoms
- Treats back pain and osteoporosis
- Relieves insomnia
- Increases energy
However, those with chronic neck and back injury should avoid practicing this pose.