Balancing stick pose is part of a series of standing poses in the Bikram yoga (Hot yoga) workouts. In a common variation of the hand position, the fingers are interlaced with the index fingers extended as if pointing ahead.
Among the benefits of balancing stick pose, some include the following:
- Improved flexibility in the hamstrings, hips and shoulders
- Increased strength in the core muscles, legs, back, shoulders and arms
- Opening of the chest and lungs
- Stimulation of the abdominal organs
- Reduced anxiety due to calming of the nervous system
- Improved focus and memory
Beginners can use the back of a chair to support the outstretched arms and maintain balance. Those who have mastered the pose and are able to hold it for 30 seconds may increase the difficulty by performing it with eyes closed.