As Patanjali's Yoga Sutras explain,
pranayama controls the breath according to desa, which controls the location to
which the breath is directed. The breath is named based on the region
in the yogi's body to which it is targeted: prana for the
heart region, samana for the abdomen, apana for the
pelvis and legs, udana for the head, and vyana for a
breath directed throughout the body.
Other terms that involve desa include:
- Desa-kala-patra – a Balinese
life doctrine of where one lives, when one lives and the circumstances
in which one lives.
- Desa-kala-sambandha – space-time
- Desatita – beyond space, or
- Desapabandha – limitation of space.
- Desavadhi – a limited type of
clairvoyance, or clairvoyance of space.
- Desavakasika – a Jaina vow that
limits where and when business or other activity is conducted.