To perform abhyanga massage:
- Choose the right oil based on your dosha type and pour it in a bowl.
- Warm the oil by placing the bowl in a container of boiling water.
- Once the oil gets warm, take the bowl out of the hot water.
- Remove your clothes and sit on a towel.
- Dip your fingertips into the oil, taking some oil on your palms.
- Start by massaging your scalp, then apply oil on your face and proceed to work down the body to massage.
- Use upward and downward strokes while massaging your hands and legs. Use circular motion for the joints, chest and abdomen.
- Massage for about 15 minutes and let the oil permeate the skin for another 15 minutes.
- Using your towel, rub off excess oil and shower.
The benefits of abhyanga include:
- Promotes circulation.
- Softens and strengthens the skin.
- Relieves toxins.
- Nourishes the body.
- Promotes skin health.
- Improves digestion.
- Energizes both body and mind.
- Supports sleep.
- Postpones aging.