Definition - What does Bikram Yoga mean?
Bikram yoga is named for its founder, Yogiraj Bikram Choudhury, and is practiced in a humid environment, heated to between 95 and 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Also referred to as "hot yoga," this type of yoga, when practiced regularly, is beneficial for overall health and is effective as a treatment for chronic or muscle pain.
Yogapedia explains Bikram Yoga
Popularized as hot yoga, this practice, taught only by certified instructors, follows a regular series of 26 yoga poses and two breathing exercises. The heat is thought to warm the muscles in preparation for the practice and the resulting sweat releases toxins and impurities through the skin. The heat is also believed to invigorate the circulatory system and improve the heart rate.
The Bikram yoga practice follows this sequence:
- Pranayama (Standing deep breathing)
- Ardha chandrasana (Half moon pose)
- Utkatasana (Awkward pose)
- Garudasana (Eagle pose)
- Dandayamana janushirasana (Standing head-to-knee pose)
- Dandayamana dhanurasana (Standing bow pose)
- Tuladandasana (Balancing stick pose)
- Dandayamana bibhaktapada paschimotthanasana (Standing separate-leg stretching pose)
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
- Dandayamana bibhaktapada janushirasana (Standing separate leg head-to-knee pose)
- Tadasana (tree pose)
- Padangustasana (Toe stand pose)
- Savasana (Corpse pose)
- Pavanamuktasana (Wind-removing pose)
- Pada-Hasthasana (Sit up pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- Salabhasana (Locust pose)
- Poorna Salabhasana (Full locust pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
- Supta vajrasana (Fixed firm pose)
- Ardha kurmasana (Half tortoise pose)
- Ustrasana (Camel pose)
- Sasangasana (Rabbit pose)
- Janushirasana and paschimotthanasana (Head-to-knee pose and stretching pose)
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Spine-twisting pose)
- Kapalabhati in vajrasana (Blowing in thunderbolt pose)
During These Times of Stress and Uncertainty Your Doshas May Be Unbalanced.
To help you bring attention to your doshas and to identify what your predominant dosha is, we created the following quiz.
Try not to stress over every question, but simply answer based off your intuition. After all, you know yourself better than anyone else.