Crotch Lever Pose
Definition - What does Crotch Lever Pose mean?
Crotch Lever is a posture found in AcroYoga, a style in which traditional Hatha or Vinyasa Flow are combined with acrobatics. A key feature of AcroYoga is that it is practiced by two people together. Crotch Lever is an advanced level counterbalance, in which one person provides the base and the other person is a flyer (lifter off the ground by the base).
Yogapedia explains Crotch Lever Pose
To practice Crotch Lever, follow these steps with a partner:
- Begin standing, with the flyer 1 meter in front of the base.
- Flyer: backbend until face is level with base's crotch, arms lifted towards the sky. Base: support flyer by holding their hands.
- Flyer: wrap arms around base's lower back and lift left leg towards the sky. Base: bend knees and reach for flyer's left ankle.
- Flyer: Lift right leg so that it's parallel with the ground. Base: come into a backbend and extend left arm behind, palm facing up.
- To change sides - Flyer: lift right leg until both feet are pointing to the sky. Base: Lift torso and cross wrists to switch hands, releasing left hand to flyer's right ankle.
- Flyer: Lower left leg until it's parallel to the ground. Base: Come into a backbend and extend right arm behind, palm facing up.
These steps can be repeated multiple times, in a flow with the breath. As this is an advanced posture, both the base and flyer must take care to sufficiently warm up the body prior to practicing Crotch Lever. This pose requires a great deal of core strength for both practitioners, as well as upper body strength for the flyer and lower body strength for the base.