Abhaya Hridaya Mudra
Definition - What does Abhaya Hridaya Mudra mean?
Abhaya Hridaya Mudra is a symbolic gesture that empowers you to find the courage to follow your heart. Sanskrit for "fearless heart seal" this mudra can be called upon in difficult times to connect you to your heart's truth. Abhaya Hridaya Mudra helps to eliminate fear and ignite courage, reminding you of your inner power. It's an empowering gesture, drawing forward the strength of your true nature.
Follow these steps to try Abhaya Hridaya Mudra:
1. Cross the right wrist in front of the left at your heart centre
2. Bring the backs of the hands together
3. Interlock opposite pinky, middle and index fingers (skipping the ring finger)
4. Bring the tip of the ring finger and thumb together on each hand
Yogapedia explains Abhaya Hridaya Mudra
This mudra is activating for the heart chakra; it releases blockages to cultivate a balanced flow of energy through the heart space. This can help to calm strong emotions, providing a sense of clarity from which to make clear decisions. Practicing Abhaya Hridaya Mudra heightens the heart chakra's connection to our sense of love and compassion, not only for others but for ourselves.
This gesture can be held during meditation, connecting the base of the right thumb to the sternum. Abhaya Hridaya Mudra can also be practiced in any yoga asana where the hands are close to one another, such as Virabhadrasana A (Warrior 1).
Benefits of this mudra:
- Summons courage
- Connects you to your heart's truth
- Calms scattered energy
- Provides reassurance
- Revitalises your vital life force